Wednesday, May 30, 2012

It's for the Birds!

So I got some really good news today. Unfortunately, it had to come from bad news that I got the good news... but I am so very happy now that I am here.

I was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma a few weeks back. Gulp! Ya... This has been a rollercoaster of a month for me. It all started when I went to the dermatologist for a totally different minor dry spot on my arm which turned out to be practically nothing. The doctor chose to check me from head to toe since this was my first trip to a dermatologist. He found a mole that he was concerned about and biopsied it. A week later I'm hearing that I have skin cancer. After weeks of worry and a fairly quick surgery last wednesday, I received the news today that my margins are clean and I am back to being skin cancer free. Big sigh!

So now I feel like I can get back to my life again and refocus on my art. I had put aside a project that I was really eager to blog about. So I am excited to tell you about it today.

I had attended a class back on May 5th taught by Terri Brush. It was called Here Birdie Birdie... Birdcage and was held over at Melrose Vintage. It was my first time taking a class from her, but I guarantee it won't be my last. It was so much fun! Here are some photos from the class:
This is Terri's beautiful birdcage that she taught us all how to make. We also made a little soldered crown to place inside if we wished. I have soldered before, but it seems that I learn something new every time I take a soldering class. Especially if it is a new (to me) instructor. Everyone seems to have their own style.
 Terri and I.
 My friend Marianne Solem showing off her cage. 
The decorations in the room we were in were so much fun. I had to get a picture. I would love to use this idea for a birthday party for my daughter sometime. 
Now here is my finished piece. I wasn't able to finish it in class because I had a bit of a problem with the copper tape around the base coming off. So I came home and took it apart and re-did it. The photo above is of the cage before I applied the patina. I like it silver, but I think I like it much better now that it has the patina because it gives it that aged look. All the photos below have the patina.


I am really happy with how it turned out. I hope to make more and possibly make some paperclay birds to perch inside. I also cannot wait to take another class from Terri Brush! What fun!!


xoxo,
Shannon





1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear your doctor got it all and that you are now cancer free! Yes that would be very shocking. Health concerns are so difficult because they are something we have such little control over.
    Rita T.

    ReplyDelete