Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Paris Inspired 3 Drawer Shelf Make-Over


I came across this three drawer wall shelf today as I was rearranging some things in my bedroom and thought I would share the make-over with you. A very kind neighbor of mine named Jolene gave me this item to make over for her to re-sell and after seeing how in love with it I was after I finished it, she let me keep it! 

Unfortunately, I did not take a good before photo because I wasn't in a blog state of mind back when I did this. There are a few in-progress photos that I can share though. The photos are not spectacular, but you get the gist, right?

The piece was mustard yellow, lavender and forest green. All crackle paint. I started by using a citrus based paint stripper (it is safer than the alternative) to strip and scrape away as much paint as I could. There were quite a few layers.
Here is a closer view of the crackle paint.
Once I got most of the paint off, I sanded it down to get a bit more off and to be sure that it was smooth and ready for priming. I used a spray primer and then an antique white paint by Martha Stewart that came in a small paint sample - perfect size for this small project. I brushed that on. 

Once that was dry I printed out this image from The Graphics Fairy, used a graphite pencil on the back and transfered the pencil onto the piece. I then hand painted it on in black. I then went over the piece again with the sander to rough it up a bit and then I followed that up with a tea stained glaze. 
The inside of each of the drawers are lined with vintage sheet music that I mod podged on. The handles are from the Hobby Lobby (which I love because they have a great selection and are way less pricey than everywhere else I have tried - plus they will take the 40% off coupon right from your phone!). 
So that is my piece! I absolutely adore it. I think that next time I would like to try Ann Sloan paint. I am still on the fence about where to hang it though. After putting all that effort into it, it is hard to find just the perfect spot. 

3 comments:

  1. I love the way it turned out Shannon and I love how you transferred the writing on it. Mod Podged, now that's something I haven't heard in a long time. You need to find a special place for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute! Like you, I don't seem to have enough hours in the day for every project in my head, but I actually do have one of these shelves in the closet, so at some point I will DEFINITELY have to spiff mine up, too! Thanks for sharing, and stop by my blog and say 'hi' sometime! :D

    ReplyDelete