Monday, August 6, 2012

AU - 3rd & 4th Classes... Quite the busy day!

Friday at AU was a busy one for me. Actually Friday through Sunday were all busy days... which is the reason I am just now getting to blog about them all. But Friday is what I am blogging about today... so back to that.

My wonderfully art filled began with a class taught by Pam Carriker. She taught me a journaling class last year that left me wanting more. So I quickly jumped on board to take this class and I couldn't have made a better choice. The class was called "A Cut Above". The purpose of the class was to learn how to carve linoleum into a stamp. I have dabbled in a bit of carving earlier this summer in preparation for this class, but had no idea how much more I was capable of doing. (Thanks to Pam!!)

Also thanks to Speedball, Faber-Castel and Stadler, we got some pretty great goodies to play with!
Here are some photos of my first class:
This is the stamp I carved! I love it. I even printed it on the little bag that we got our class goodies in. Instragram makes it look lighter than it is. It was actually a nice print. 
This is my new friend Julia hard at work. We were in a couple of classes together this year. (It is so much fun meeting new friends at AU!) And next to her is Leighanna Light who is also a new friend and amazing teacher. I might have to take one of her classes next year. :)
Pam was giving us a demo. 
This is the class all hard at work.
All that work called for a little relaxing time and a beer with good friends before my next class. Here I am with Pam Carriker and Jane LaFazio. 

Now for my evening class. This next one was called "Couture Corsage" taught by Ruth Rae. One of my goals for this AU was to take a class by Ruth... no matter what it was. This is the one I chose that worked with my schedule of classes. I was very happy to have made this choice! First we got an informative demo on hand dying your fabrics and lace and such. Then on to making the corsages. I was so fortunate to have Pam Huntington sitting next to me not only keeping me company, but also giving me helpful pointers on how to 'loosen up' :) 

It was a short class, but a really fun time. Here are some photos for you to see the results:
These are the two corsages that I made! They turned out nice, I think!
Ruth Rae and I modeling our corsages. She is one talented lady, I tell ya!
Did I mention that Barb Solem was in that class as well? We have been friends for a few years now. It all started at AU! We took a class together my first year. We quickly figured out that we go to the same church. Small world! She has such fun style. Always dressed so cute! Here she is in her Magnolia Pearl top. I could seriously raid her closet!! 
Go and check out the link on her name and you'll see that she is up to some fun stuff! She is planning many new art retreats for the near future that you won't want to miss!!
My new sweet friend Pam Huntington and me. I feel so lucky to have met her (and taken a class from her) this year. I look forward to that friendship blooming! 
Here are the class samples made by Ruth. Beauties!!
Ruth and Pam finishing up the night with a bit of fun banter. 

As you can see it was a fun, but long day. So I will fill you in on the next couple days in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment